Wednesday 2 October 2013

European Musing - Tate Modern, London

Tate Modern is one of my favourite London haunts. On this occasion the ever-impressive turbine hall was closed for renovation (much to my disappointment as I've previously enjoyed fantastic installations there). However, I was excited to learn of a new building under construction. The vision of the new building is to redefine the museum for the twenty first century, integrating learning, display and social functions (read more about The Tate Modern Project). I liked the way these plans formed a mini exhibit for visitors to explore and that learning was given salient priority. 

I wandered through the permanent collection displays - people watching and eavesdropping in on casual conversations as much as observing the art in this instance. Since making museum studies my career, I'm intrigued as to how people make meaning for themselves within cultural spaces. I find the best way to obtain insight is simply to observe 'real-time' happenings disguised as a fellow visitor and by participating in the same offerings from that 'regular Joe' point of view. As soon as you survey or interview museum attendees their 'honesty' is tainted by expectation or "What do you want me to say?" syndrome. Moreover, it can be hard to maintain fresh eyes when you work in the industry and become embroiled in the backstories behind the scenes.

I hovered in the Surrealism activity room watching visitors try out some of the techniques employed by artists of the period such as 'this exquisite corpse.' The Tate has collaborated with Google and creators Chris Milk and Aaron Koblin to produce a digital version of this game called 
This Exquisite Forest which encourages global collaboration online. Why not start your own tree? Though you'll have to be prepared to relinquish control of your idea as it branches out into myriad interpretations. 





No comments:

Post a Comment